Located in central Georgia, Macon is a wonderful city to explore whether you are heading further south or north of there. If you love visiting museums, there are several at the museum district that are sure to catch your attention including The Tubman Museum, the largest museum in the country that is dedicated to educating people about the art, history and culture of African Americans. Nearby, there is also the Ocmulgee National Monument, which has large Native American earthen mounds dating back to prehistoric times. If you enjoy hiking, 180 acres of upland forest at Amerson River Park has 180 acres of forests, meadows and wetlands, or you can kayak along the Ocmulgee River.
Macon has plenty of history and character and there is something here people of all ages would love to do. There are also many great businesses in and around Macon that serve this great community well, including our law firm. If you are a resident of Macon and are seeking a medical malpractice lawyer, Cook & Tolley is happy to serve you.
Macon, Georgia Medical Malpractice
You may have heard of medical malpractice cases in which someone had major surgery and dealt with complications due to scalpels, sponges or other surgical tools having been left inside the patient’s body during surgery or even a botched surgery on the wrong body part. Unfortunately, these nightmare scenarios are actually more common than people may think and the medical malpractice statistics are quite alarming.
Here are a few statistic we want to share:
- A Johns Hopkins study claimed that over 250,000 people in the U.S. die each year due to medical errors while there are other reports claiming the numbers to be closer to 440,000.
- Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.
- The Journal of the American Medical Association reports that an estimated 106,000 patients die each year because of the negative effects of the medication they were prescribed.
- Just 2% of victims of medical malpractice file a claim for compensation but fewer get compensation for their injury or pain and suffering.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
It is important to know the medical malpractice definition. Medical malpractice is when a hospital, doctor or other health care professional, through a negligent act or omission, causes an injury to a patient. The negligence may be the result of diagnosis, treatment, aftercare or health management errors.
Types of Medical Malpractice
There are several examples of medical malpractice that may lead to a lawsuit, including the following:
- Failure to diagnose or misdiagnosis
- Misreading or neglecting lab results or test results
- Unnecessary surgery or surgery on wrong site
- Incorrect medication or dosage
- Premature discharge from a hospital
- Poor follow-up or aftercare
- Neglecting or not gathering appropriate patient history
- Failure to order appropriate testing
- Ignoring symptoms
- Mismanaging labor and delivery
- Improper surgical technique
Additionally, nursing home neglect and nursing home abuse cases are taken into consideration when it comes to medical malpractice. At our law firm of Cook & Tolley, we take these matters very seriously, especially because nursing home abuse reporting is not as high as it should be with the prevalence of these types of cases. We encourage you to contact us and the Georgia Department of Community Health’s Healthcare Facility Regulation to report nursing home abuse if you suspect your loved one is not receiving the care he or she should be receiving. Our legal team is also prepared to help you with your claim.
Medical Malpractice Lawyers Servicing Residents in Macon, Georgia
Our stellar medical malpractice lawyers have a reputation for fighting tough for our clients. With decades of experience in medical malpractice law, we have been very successful obtaining money compensation for our clients through trials and settlements. We make sure to keep up with the ever-changing medical malpractice laws including the statute of limitations, which is how we have been successful with our clients’ medical malpractice verdicts in Georgia.
Experience. Respected. Tough.
Well-respected in the community, Cook & Tolley is a full-service law firm that has the knowledge and fortitude needed to represent each of our clients. We are proud to be the best at what we do and are tough enough to take on any case, regardless of how complex it may be. With over five decades of experience, we are ready to provide our expertise to help you through your case. If you believe that you or a loved one may have been a victim of medical malpractice resulting in serious injury, contact us at 706-549-6111 to schedule a consultation today with one of our medical malpractice lawyers or visit us online.