Son of Partner, Edward D. Tolley, Spencer brings a lifelong knowledge of the profession and service to clients. A native Athenian, Spencer is dedicated to serving his City and State in a variety of practice areas. Whether it be through State and Federal criminal defense, civil litigation, personal injury, or domestic relations issues, Spencer is ready to serve your needs.
In law school, Spencer served as an intern for the Honorable C. Ashley Royal, United States District Court Judge for the Middle District of Georgia. One of his roles was to assist Judge Royal in editing and updating a legal treatise in which the Judge was a co-author. Spencer interned for the United States Attorney’s office for the Southern District of Georgia, Savannah Division, and served as an intern for the Federal Public Defender’s office for the Middle District of Georgia. Working in different roles within the legal system, Spencer has experienced the legal system from all sides of the courtroom. Spencer brings a well-rounded approach to your case and attempts to understand how the judge, jury or opposing counsel may react.
Spencer is involved in the local community in many ways. Spencer is the current President of the Western Circuit Bar Association serving Athens-Clarke and Oconee Counties. Spencer serves on several Boards for charitable organizations as well within the Athens community and was the President of the Georgia Children’s Chorus in 2021-2022. Spencer is a graduate of Athens Academy High School and serves as Vice President on the Alumni Board in addition to being a former assistant coach for the boys and girls high school golf teams. Spencer serves as a class representative for alumni events, a position selected by his classmates. While in college, Spencer worked for the University of Georgia Athletic Association serving as a football recruiting assistant. These experiences have taken dedication, organization and preparation that have served Spencer well in the legal field.
Spencer is an avid golfer and tennis player. If he is not practicing law, you will most likely find him on the course or the courts.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Western Circuit Bar Association (President 2023-24)
- CJA Panel Attorney – Middle District of Georgia
- Mercer University School of Law, Macon, Georgia, 2016
- University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, 2011
Major: Sport Management