J. Vincent “Jay” Cook is the firm’s founder and managing partner, a veteran trial lawyer, and a respected leader in Georgia’s legal community. Jay has been specializing in medical malpractice since the 1970s, earning board certification for medical malpractice, while continuing to handle a variety of other personal injury and general civil litigation cases.
A native of Savannah, Jay is a past president of the State Bar of Georgia; president of the Georgia Civil Justice Foundation; and former president of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, the Georgia Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates and the Western Circuit Bar Association. Jay teaches the medical malpractice course at his alma mater, the University of Georgia School of Law.
Over the years, Jay has earned a reputation as a zealous advocate for individuals and families. His ability to get to the core of the issues in a case and hold a jury’s focus there has resulted in many successes at trial and through settlement.
Jay has written and edited numerous publications on the law and frequently teaches medical malpractice and other legal topics at continuing education courses. Additionally, Jay regularly writes op-eds on legal and consumer issues for the Atlanta Journal Constitution and other newspapers around the state.
Jay is a proud father to Leanne Wallace of Savannah and Jay W. Cook, another partner at the firm. One of his greatest joys is being his grandchildren’s “Cookie.”
Jay has an AV® Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
Current Employment Position
- Founder and Managing Partner
- Georgia, 1964
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1982
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- American Board of Professional Attorneys (Member)
- Athens Legal Aid Society, 1963 – 1964 (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Georgia (Past President)
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- President, Athens-Western Circuit, 1973 – Present
- Vice-President, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, 1986 – Present
- Verdict Editor, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, 1988 – Present
- Georgia Civil Justice Foundation (President)
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Georgia Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates (Former President)
- Western Circuit Bar Association (Member)
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia, 1964
J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- Armstrong State College, Savannah, Georgia, 1960
A.A., Associate in Arts
Honors: cum laude
- University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, 1964
B.A., Bachelor of Arts
Classes and Seminars
- Teacher, Medical Malpractice, University of Georgia School of Law
- AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Writer, Op-eds on Legal and Consumer Issues, Atlanta Journal Constitution