Devin Hartness Smith devotes herself to both civil litigation—with particular emphasis on business litigation and personal injury—and state and federal criminal defense.
Devin has represented local and nationwide companies as both plaintiff and defendant. Her cases frequently involve sifting through thousands upon thousands of documents, finding a few key needles in the haystacks of evidence. Quite often, the opposition in her cases has a lot of resources, and without someone as persistent as Devin, clients do not stand a fighting chance.
Devin also represents persons accused of crimes in the state and federal courts of Georgia, from misdemeanor charges of underage possession to felony controlled substance and murder charges. Regardless of the severity of the offense, Devin strives to give her clients a voice in court and put the State to its burden of proof in every case. Devin also specializes in Georgia’s laws regarding restricting, sealing, and/or expunging criminal history records, ensuring that her clients get the full benefit of Georgia’s recent criminal justice reforms.
Devin is a 2009 graduate of the University of Georgia School of Law and has practiced law at Cook & Tolley for over a decade.
Devin is also a summa cum laude graduate of the University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication. With her background in journalism, Devin knows how to write persuasively. Her clients often are facing tough odds, and Devin’s ability to show a judge the key facts and law help level the playing field.
Devin’s contributions to several high-profile victories led her to be named a 2014 Rising Star by the Daily Report, a statewide legal publication, and a 2021 Rising Star in Georgia’s Super Lawyers Magazine.
Year Joined Firm
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- American Association for Justice
- Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia, 2009
- University of Georgia, 2004 A.B.J.
Honors: summa cum laude
Major: Journalism and Mass Communications
Honors & Designations
- Outstanding Law Student, Georgia Association for Women Lawyers, 2009
- 2014 Rising Star, Daily Report
- 2021 Rising Star, Super Lawyers